When Pat Flynn lost his job at an architecture firm during the Great Recession of 2008, he thought he’d be back in the office within a couple of months—fate had other plans.
After stumbling across an online business podcast he decided to try his luck at building his own passive income stream. A few successes and many more failures later, Pat is now a Wall Street Journal bestselling author and the founder of Smart Passive Income, an online blog, podcast, and resource library covering all things passive income.
Pat initially grew his blog by offering readers total transparency and openness, something that other online entrepreneurs rarely do, and continues to post monthly finance reports on his blog detailing his income and expenses so that others can learn from his mistakes.
Sit back, relax, and tune-in to the crash-test dummy of online entrepreneurship to learn:
- How to build a loyal audience based on transparency and openness
- The one thing you can do to guarantee your blog gets noticed
- Why smart passive income isn’t about sipping poolside cocktails while your bank balance grows
Jay welcomes all your questions and comments. Tweet them to @jaykimmer.
Links from Today’s Episode
- Read the full transcript of Pat’s interview
- Follow Pat on Twitter and LinkedIn
- See Pat’s first online business at GreenExamAcademy.com
- Get started with your own passive income business at SmartPassiveIncome.com
- Learn how to validate your business idea with Pat’s new book: Will It Fly?
Detailed Show Notes
- (2:00) How the Great Recession of 2008 and a chance encounter with an online business podcast gave Pat his first winning idea
- (7:02) On being transparent with your audience
- (8:37) How Pat built up his blog audience from scratch
- (11:57) Why niching down is the fastest way to build authority
- (15:24) On the current state of online entrepreneurship
- (16:16) How to gain credibility in an increasingly noisy world
- (19:54) The truth about passive income
- (24:25) How Smart Passive Income can help you launch your passive income journey today
- (25:55) On what’s keeping Pat busy in 2017
- (27:56) Pat’s advice for anyone looking to build an online business
Asia's latest investing trends and on-the-ground field research delivered directly to your inbox