Jeff Goins is a blogger, podcaster, and the bestselling author of four books, including The Art of Work and You Are a Writer (So Start Acting Like One). But he wasn’t always so sure of his true calling. After college, Jeff moved to Nashville, joined a band, and spent the next year touring around the United States and parts of Asia, where he experienced the life of a rock star.
But even after achieving success with what he thought was his passion, Jeff couldn’t shake the feeling that something was missing. After spending time reflecting on what he really wanted out of life, Jeff finally found his vocation in writing, something that he had always enjoyed but never though to make a career of.
Jeff has since written about his creative journey, and in his fifth book, he sets out to disband the myth of the starving artist and seeks to help anyone struggling to turn what they love into a career.
In this episode of the Jay Kim Show, Jeff details his experiences attempting to uncover his passion and offers sound advice for anyone struggling to connect with their own calling.
Listen in to learn:
- How to find your true calling by listening to your inner self
- Why the idea of the starving artist is just a myth
- How to overcome societal pressure to pursue a specific path in life
- The power of apprenticeships and why you should learn your craft from a master
Listen to this episode on iTunes.
What was your biggest insight from this week’s episode? Let Jay know in the comments or on Twitter: @jaykimmer.
Links from Today’s Episode
- Read the full transcript from Jeff’s interview
- Follow Jeff on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
- Read Jeff’s blog and get your free copy of the Beginners Guide to Building an Audience at GoinsWriter.com
- Pre-order your copy of Real Artists Don’t Starve and start getting paid to do what you love
- Check out Jeff’s other bestselling books
Detailed Show Notes
- (1:55) Jeff Goins on Jeff Goins
- (2:14) How Jeff discovered his true calling and went from pseudo rock star to full-time writer in the process
- (8:10) On using your intuition and listening to your inner-self to find your own calling and live a life of purpose
- (11:05) Three questions you can ask yourself today to help you find your own life’s purpose
- (17:55) On Real Artists Don’t Starve and how to turn your passion into a career
- (22:31) Jeff’s actionable advice for starving artists (or entrepreneurs) hoping to thrive
- (25:15) On the power of apprenticeships and why you shouldn’t call yourself an expert if you haven’t put in the time to master your craft
- (29:02) On being remembered for spreading thoughtful ideas
Asia's latest investing trends and on-the-ground field research delivered directly to your inbox