In today’s episode of The Jay Kim Show, Jay chats with Nathan Chan, an unassuming entrepreneur from Australia who’s created one of the top-ranked business magazines in the iTunes store, Foundr.
Nathan wasn’t planning on building a media empire, but that’s exactly what happened after he launched Foundr while working 9–5 in IT. While Nathan had no experience in publishing, business, or digital media, he did have a credit card with a $3,000 credit limit and a hunger to succeed.
Nathan’s decision to target young entrepreneurs with articles that showcase inspiring business leaders and their processes, obstacles, and successes clearly hit a chord. His ability to land interviews with some of the biggest names in the entrepreneur space also meant that he was able to quit his day job and shift 100% of his focus to Foundr only 12 months after publishing the first issue.
Today, Foundr is dedicated to “helping entrepreneurs build and grow a successful business” through Foundr Magazine, the Foundr podcast, Foundr Club, and Foundr courses.
In today’s episode, you’ll learn:
- The secret to landing interviews with big-name entrepreneurs like Richard Branson, Tim Ferris, and more
- The most common reason why aspiring entrepreneurs never make the first step toward launching their business dreams
- Why hunger is the most important factor that determines your success as an entrepreneur
Listen to this episode on iTunes.
Jay would love to hear from you; join the conversation on Twitter: @jaykimmer.
Links from Today’s Episode
- Read the full transcript from Nathan’s interview
- Follow Nathan on LinkedIn and Twitter
- Grab your copy of Foundr Magazine
- Stop procrastinating and launch your business now with the help of Foundr’s Start Now guide
- Get inspired by Foundr’s Instagram feed
- Accelerate your business’s growth with tools, resources, masterminds, and more as part of Foundr Club
Detailed Show Notes
- (2:15) The side-hustle origins of Foundr magazine
- (6:11) Nathan’s first job working in IT
- (8:20) On becoming financially literate and facing initial pushback from family members
- (11:29) Nathan’s advice for aspiring entrepreneurs: Don’t care what others think; just start
- (16:57) On Foundr’s early success on Instagram
- (19:14) Nathan’s favourite Foundr interviews
- (21:51) The power of dreaming big and channelling your passion
- (25:51) Nathan’s challenge for would-be entrepreneurs
- (28:05) Connect to the Foundr community and grow your business with Foundr Club
Asia's latest investing trends and on-the-ground field research delivered directly to your inbox