Darryl O’Young fell in love with motorsports at the age of 8 when his father bought him his first go-kart. From that moment, Darryl knew he had found his passion. Over the next 13 years, Darryl and his father crisscrossed North America many times travelling to races across Canada and the United States.
At the age of 21, Darryl left North America for the first time to race in Asia. While there, Darryl seized the opportunity to use his knowledge of marketing and business to land his first professional driving contract with Jebsen Group of Hong Kong.
Today, Darryl is a familiar face at Grand Touring races across Asia and around the world. He is a three-time Macau Grand Prix champion, a two-time Porsche Carrera Cup Asia champion, and finished second in his class at the 2013 24 Hours of Le Mans endurance race. Darryl also works tirelessly to grow the status of
Darryl also works tirelessly to grow the status of motorsports in Asia, and specifically Hong Kong, with his O’Young’s Future Stars program, which helps to introduce motorsport racing to kids who wouldn’t otherwise have a chance to get on a race track.
Join Jay and Darryl for today’s chat and discover:
- Why marketing and businesses skills are essential for professional athletes
- How to handle success in the public spotlight
- Why hard work will get you farther than any amount of luck
Listen to this episode on iTunes.
Keep the conversation going onTwitter: @jaykimmer.
Links from Today’s Episode
- Read the full transcript from Darryl’s interview
- Follow Darryl on Facebook and Twitter
- Check out Darryl’s website
- Learn more about Craft-Bamboo Racing
- See the future stars of Hong Kong’s motor sport industry at O’Young’s Future Stars
Detailed Show Notes
- (2:18) Darryl’s father’s interest in motor sports and his early introduction to racing
- (4:20) Darryl dedicates his teenage years to racing
- (7:50) Why professional athletes need marketing skills
- (12:30) Darryl leaves North America for the first time at age 21 and uses his marketing knowledge to land his first professional driver contract in Hong Kong
- (15:05) On moving to Asia to focus on racing full-time
- (17:51) How Darryl stays grounded after achieving success and renown
- (20:52) The habits that help Darryl perform at his best
- (24:40) Craft-Bamboo Racing’s quest to link motor racing in Europe and Asia
- (26:18) On growing motor sports and fostering young future drivers in Hong Kong
- (31:22) Darryl’s advice for aspiring entrepreneurs: “Take risks and be prepared for your big break”
Asia's latest investing trends and on-the-ground field research delivered directly to your inbox